DanaGervaisDesigns

Living the Knit Life

11/04/2016

My Favourite Sock Yarns

I knit a lot of socks, and I have worked with a lot of sock yarn.  There are a few brands of sock yarn that are my absolute favourite.  When I see my favourite sock yarns on sale I pick up a few skeins to feed the stash so I always have some on hand when inspiration strikes.

Here are a few of my favourite sock yarns (in no particular order):

KnitPicks Stroll - I love this yarn.  It is soft, affordable and available in so many awesome colours.  It is also one of my favourite solid yarns to design with.  Heart & Sole and Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey were both designed with KnitPicks Stroll Brights.
 
Heart & Sole

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey
KnitPicks Felici - Sometimes you want to knit a nice, plain, vanilla sock and let the yarn do all the work.  Felici is soft, affordable, washes really well and is long lasting.  This yarn is only available as a 'special reserve' yarn now, but when you can get it, it comes in a lot of cool colourways; 'Baker Street' and 'Time Traveller' are my two favourite Felici yarns.

Patons Kroy - This is my work horse yarn.  I have socks knit from Kroy sock yarn that are over 5 years old now and still going strong.  I have never designed a pattern specifically for this yarn, but it is the yarn I most frequently use when I make socks for myself, the Husbeast and the Kidlets.

Indigodragonfly MerGoat Sock - This indie dyed yarn is so soft, so nice to work with and her colours are phenomenal.  She also has the coolest colour names ever! My design, Moriarty was designed using MerGoat Sock in the "In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king." colourway.
Moriarty
Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine - This is another yarn that is available in beautiful solid colours.  The alpaca content of this yarn gives it a lovely haze and makes it super soft to work with.  It is widely available and affordable.  My design, SouthPaw Socks was designed using Ultra Alpaca Fine.
SouthPaw Socks

One of my most recent favourite sock yarns is Turtle Toes by Turtlepurl yarns.   This is another yarn that does all the work for you.  When I knit it up it feels like magic.  Her colours and striping sequences are awesome and the yarn is so squishy and lovely.  I really love that the yarn comes in two separate 50gram skeins that are identically dyed so that (as long as you start both skeins at the same end) you end up with identical socks.  

Do you have a favourite sock yarn?  Tell me about it.  I am always looking for sock yarn inspiration. 

The opinions expressed in this post are my own.  I have not been compensated by any of the yarn companies mentioned or asked to provide a review of any of the yarns.  
Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment