DanaGervaisDesigns

Living the Knit Life

09/11/2015

Seam Avoidance

I don't like seaming.  I hate it.   I don't mind weaving in ends, blocking or other tasks related to finishing a knitted item, but I really dread seaming.  This is one area of knitting where I lack confidence.

I dislike seaming so much, that if I fall in love with a pattern that requires seaming I go to a lot of time and effort to re-work the entire pattern to avoid seaming.  I spend more time avoiding seams than just sucking it up and sewing them.

This weekend I found myself in a situation where seam-avoidance was not possible.  I am working on a sample for a yarn company (their design, not mine) so I have to follow the pattern exactly as written, and this particular pattern has a lot of seams.

Here is a small seam as shown from the right side of the garment:
My Grandmother (who taught me to knit) did amazing seams.  I lack her finesse.

Here is the same seam as shown from the wrong side of the garment:
I actually think the wrong side looks better than the right side.  

Is there something in knitting that you hate to do? Something you actually avoid?

Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. If it needs to be seamed, I probably won't knit it. It's the first thing I look at in a pattern, whether it is seamless or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too - I discriminate against seams. I would love to be a more confident seam-er, but I dread the practice it would take to make that happen.

      Delete