DanaGervaisDesigns

Living the Knit Life

27/05/2015

One Project To Rule Them All

If you could only knit/crochet/sew/whatever one type of project for the rest of your life, what would you choose? 

I would choose socks.  Always socks.  While I enjoy a varied knittng life that includes, garments, accessories, household accessories, jewellery (knit with wire and beads), pet sweaters, toys, stuffies, etc. socks are my all time favourite thing to knit.


Why so much sock love? Well...


  • I'm fairly sure that I have enough sock yarn in my stash to knit nothing but socks for the rest of my life and still have yarn left over to will to someone.    
  • Sock knitting is my yoga.  It is the definition of meditation in motion for me.  
  • I love sock yarn - hence the large stash - there are so many good indie dyers now and so many sock yarn options and I do this magical thing where I make a few tapping motions on the screen of my phone and yarn appears at my door a few days later.  Magic.  
           
KnitPicks sock yarn from a KnitPicks order
  • Sock construction options are nearly endless so if I ever get bored, I can change things up a bit: top down, toe-up, heel first, sideways, in the round, flat, dpns, magic loop, two circs, one at a time, two at a time, even two at a time on DPNs! I am sure there are some I have left out. 
  • Knitting a well executed heel or toe makes me feel slightly magical.  I love a good heel flap and a Kitchener stitched toe.  Those are my personal preference for my feet.  But I also knit for other feet which sometimes have other preferences: short row heel, afterthought heel,fish lips kiss heel, sweet tomato heel,  no heel (yoga socks) and toes that are rounded, narrow, three needle bind off, or not cast off at all by drawn closed tightly and sewn together.
heels and toes are my favourite part of sock knitting

  • Socks are functional and pretty.  Creating something that is both functional and nice to look at (and comfortable) satisfies my inner sense of order.  Everybody I know needs socks.  I live in Canada and winter is cold here.  Socks are not optional.  Not everybody I know loves handknit socks. Freaks! I try not to hold that against them.  While I am sad for those few people, I do not knit for them.  I knit mostly for me, the husbeast, the kidlets and a handful of relatives and friends. 
Freshly laundered socks ready to go back in the sock drawer

  • Pattern options for socks are endless: colourwork, solid, stripes, lace, cables, variegated, ribbed, fingering weight, sport weight, bulky, the list goes on. 
  • Socks are age and gender neutral: whether you are male, female,  a baby, a retiree, or in between, as long as you have feet you will need to cover them and keep them warm.  
  • Sock knitting is portable.  I usually have a sock in progress either on my person, or in my car or both.  It is a portable, small project that does not take up much space.  
  • Socks knit up relatively quickly.  Delayed gratification is not my best thing.  A plain vanilla sock pattern can knit up quite quickly and that sense of completion makes me happy. 
  • Sock knitting is not as big of an investment as some other projects.  It is more affordable to purchase 100grams of sock yarn than a sweater quantity of yarn.  Usually.  
What is your project to end all projects?

Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment