DanaGervaisDesigns

Living the Knit Life

31/08/2015

Knitting Confessions

Knitting is an art.  There is not right or wrong in knitting, only whether the knitter is happy with the end result of his or her efforts.  I believe that everybody is weird.  We all have varying degrees of weirdness and some of us can tuck in our weirdness a little better than others, but at our core we are a collection of quirky individuals and that's what makes us wonderful! Here are some of my weird knitterly quirks:


  1. I love to swatch.  It gets me excited for the project I am about to knit, kind of in the same way the appetizer at a restaurant gets me excited for the main course.  
  2. I like to keep my swatches.  They are pinned to a large cork board in my office.  (some swatches become part of the finished project, so those ones I do not have on the corkboard)
  3. I keep all my leftover yarn.  I have boxes of them.  Sometimes I use them for swatching.  
  4. Even though I have been knitting socks and turning heels for 30+ years, every heel I turn still feels slightly magical
  5. Ditto for Kitchener stitching sock toes. 
  6. I have at least 50 skeins of self-striping sock yarn. 
  7. In addition to a compulsion for self-striping sock yarn, I also have a compulsion for discontinued yarns and one-of-a-kind skeins.  Basically if it is discontinued or limited edition I will buy it. 
  8. I have been toying with putting a destash page on this website to thin the hoard a bit. 
  9. Plain vanilla socks are my favourite thing to knit.  They never get boring to me.  Hence number 6.
  10. I don't really like knitting fair isle or intarsia.  I think both are beautiful to look at, but I don't enjoy the process.  I love mosaic knitting though. 
  11. Wine affects my gauge. 
  12. I am a selfish knitter.  I keep at least 90% of what I make.
  13. I dislike seaming.  
  14. I think bobbles look like nipples.
So there you have it, some of my knitterly quirks.  Do you have any knitting confessions you'd like to make?
Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment